Chevron Curtain Project

I have no idea what I’m doing at the moment. Sorry if this one starts off slow…..

When we moved into our house 6 years ago, I threw a bunch of random items in our main bedroom and haven’t looked back. I don’t know if it’s spring fever or guilt over the neglect this room received, but I suddenly hate the room and have renewed interest (and apparently unlimited energy) to spruce up the joint 🙂

Last week I spray painted some lamps I’ve been hanging onto for a few years a great vibrant orange and that simple project has snowballed into what will become known as the “Great Master Bedroom Remodel”. I now have my husband ripping out the carpeting, refinishing the hardwood floors, removing the stucco from the ceiling, putting up new trim and of course a fresh coat of paint.

See what can happen when you just start off spray painting some stupid lamps! I was looking for a quick, cheap update. New lamps, new curtains, maybe some new accent pillows but then decided screw it – you can’t put lipstick on a pig.

First project – New Lamps – Check

Second Project – New Curtains – In the process

I got the idea from the Hunted Interior Blog http://www.huntedinterior.com/2011/12/hot-trend-of-2011-chevron.html

What you’ll need:

  • Curtains ( I bought muslin and made my own – I like my curtains wider than traditional panels)
  • Painters Tape
  • Scissors
  • Tape measurer/measuring tape
  • Pen
  • Paint/Tray/Roller
  • Tarp (to put curtains on top of)

I divided the panels into 4 sections lengthwise to begin with painters tape.

I knew I wanted three rows of chevrons, so I divided the length of the curtain by seven to get 4 equal unpainted rows and 3 painted rows

I marked the middle of the length on the painters tape and used that as the center of my first row of chevrons.

To get the angle I wanted I just played around with the tape getting an angle that I thought looked good. When I was pleased with the angle I secured the tape. I did 12″ “stripes. Just maintain the measurments as you work your way down the curtain. I placed painters tape in the rows I wouldn’t be painting as a precaution.

20130617-074555.jpg

Once I had one curtain taped, I placed the other one on top and copied the lines – big time saver!

20130617-074626.jpg

Just as a precaution I pressed down all of the edge of the tape where I would be painting with my fingers. Ready to paint!

20130617-074655.jpg

I bought a quart of Dutch Boy Dura Clean Flat Black Paint and a 6″ sponge roller. Paint $10, roller $4.

20130617-074721.jpg

I applied a thin first layer. Always making sure to roll from the tape into the chevron to avoid the paint bleeding under the tape.

20130617-074756.jpg

I let the panels dry overnight. The black was lighter in some spots, so I gave it a quick second coat and let it dry a second night.

20130617-074817.jpg

The curtains were definitely stiff. I started at one side and rolled them off to loosen up the paint. The master bedroom is still under construction so I quickly threw them up in the guest room to take a look. Cute! In hindsight I probably would have made the angle on the chevrons more severe (I think mine was only 6″)

20130618-184126.jpg

20130909-141454.jpg

Advertisements